Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Flavor of the week

This time around, I baked Vienna Bread with Dutch topping.
The icing is in fact a paste made of rice flour, yeast, a bit of sugar, salt and oil. This bread is supposed to be very good toasted. I tried it fresh from the oven and it was excellent. I am not sure about the toast as I do not have a toaster. I find it amazing that we can come up with so many different using only flour, water and yeast. And a bit of patience, since these breads require long, slow fermentations. I do not mind, all I have to do is put the dough in the fridge overnight and take it out the next morning. Almost always when I make bread, a commercial comes to mind. It is for some kind of frozen bread (frozen bread ... yuccc) and it shows bakers busy in the kitchen making the dough and baking the bread in the wood burning stove. And then a woman comes up in a storm complaining that she cannot spend three hours baking bread because she has yoga and this and that. She looks like she overdosed on caffeine. Of course, the conclusion is "thank goodness for frozen bread". Yeah, sure ....I wish I knew what kind of bread is she making that takes three hours, but that is a whole other story. Me, I am sold. I have my own home bakery now :)