Saturday, September 11, 2010

Papers

When I am too tired to start solving artistic conundrums (!), I doodle or I make paper. This time, I used black and white photocopies of my journal pages to scribble on and I experimented with tinted gesso. The idea with the tinted gesso came from here: http://collagelabbytwo.blogspot.com/. I always use white gesso and I figured it was worth a try to see if I like it or not.

These are the pages:


For the tinted gesso exercise, I used a manila envelope and a folder. In my case, the gesso dried too fast or the contrast with the layer underneath was not strong enough. Or both. The idea was to make marks through the tinted layer to reveal the white leyer underneath, but the marks did not provide enough contrast for my taste. On the left, I used student quality heavt body acrylics and the colors are a bit stronger. Of course, I used more paint as well. On the right, I used only few drops of Golden so the colors are a bit lighter.

It's a fun exercise and not too complicated, but I think I will still use white gesso and then colors. I like colors with "personality".