Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Dim Sum

Sunday was the monthly meeting of the Urban Sketchers. Weather being what it is (as in -20C), an indoor location was chosen. About 30 people showed up at the Maison Kam Fung - we occupied three round tables!

Everybody's sketchbook looked amazing! I saw somebody painting with pearless watercolors. What's neat about these is that they come in sheets that can be cut and glued on a cardboard support and voila - portable palette that is light and flat.

I thought I was going to sketch the food. I was there a bit before 10 a.m so I decided to warm sketching the people around until the food arrived. But when the steaming baskets were brought to the table, I was more preoccupied with eating than sketching. And after about 2 hrs, I realized my pages had no rhyme or reason composition-wise. Alas, it was too late to fix it!

This is what I managed:

I brought three watercolor pencils and ink fountain pens. At home, I washed some red around the parts tjat are somewhat salvageable. I could probably cover the rest with collage if I find some Chinese papers or images, but this is all I have for now...