Saturday, October 2, 2010

The well-educated mind ...

 ... by Susan Wise Bauer.

I found it at TMI, the institute has a lending library for students. The book teaches the reader ... to read! That's right, it teaches people how to stop gathering data and start reading. Gathering data is what we do when we browse the newspaper, surf the web, read books even. But reading is about understanding ideas and making sense of the information gathered. By reading, one gathers wisdom.

This was music to my ears. I am sorry nobody taught me how to read before, now I feel like I must start all over again reading everything I already read.

I am working my way through the book, taking notes about how to read novels, memoirs,history, plays and poems.

And as I am struggle with the 750 pages of The fountainhead, I decided to do it like she says. I am still at the first stage of reading, and I suspect I will be at it for a while.

I am also reading On writing well by William Zinsser (excellent book), The Best American Essays 2007, and Style Statement. And tapering for another marathon next weekend. And trying to make some art...hmm ...should I cut something from the list? what? That is the conundrum ...