Sunday, October 27, 2013

Expressive watercolor - 4

Topic of the week - life drawing! 10 minutes to sketch to figure and apply the first wash, then another 10 min to apply shadows and darks. 'Nough said.



I was very confused - what to do first? Drawing, measuring, mixing the wash? Very good exercise to work in small increments - it avoids the tendency to agonize over every line and angle.

I found on the internet a "recipe" for measuring the body in relation to the head. Things like accross the shoulders is two heads, the lower leg in two heads and so on. This of course does not take into account foreshortening. I tried to correct the drawings, but it did not work out. I am keeping the recipe for future reference though.

I want to go regularly to life drawing sessions, but I will need some kind of plan to approach drawing the figure. The road ahead is long ... but fun.