Monday, October 19, 2009

Punta Cana

The mid term exams are over and I am getting back to normal. I picked up Spanigh - again! - as I prepare for the placement test in December. I want to take language classes in January and I am hoping to place at least in Spanish II.

I downloaded thep ics from Punta Cana and I will be posting some here.
I stayed at the Barcelo Punta Cana, one of the few Barcelos on Bavaro Beach. This one is the farthest away from the airport, about 25 min bus ride. It is the biggest hotel I have ever stayed at, with 750 rooms. The open architecture, spanish style, is nice and not too kitsch. Some of the newer hotels try to hard I find and the result can be painful to watch, at least for me. The hotel has one the largest beaches and it is built parallel to the beaches, so no matter where one has the room, the beach is only few feet away. I heard that the newer hotels were built perpendicular to the beach and I suppose in high season it can be challanging to enjoy the crowded strip of sand. As for me, I will always go in low season. The weather was great and the service, excellent. The beach was empty as most people congregated by the pools. I don't like pools. I don't see the point of travelling so far only to see concrete and smell chlorine. Plenty of choices at the buffet, 6 a-la-carte restaurants. Can't imagine having to take turns for the buffet or for my sacred after meal cappucino. I'd like to go back next year, but I'll have to wait and see what happen to my other plans of course.

Oftern, a tiny bird will find its place in a flower arrangement next to the reception desk and sing at its own reflection in the mirror. Beautiful, strong song coming from such a small bird. On the beach I often saw a group of tiny birdies walking fast on their tiny legs and as the bus drove in fromnt of the hotel, we were greeting by the resident geese.