Monday, July 12, 2010

Home-made tofu

The newest addition on the list of homemaking attempts is (drum roll...drum roll...drum roll) tofu, ladies and gents! Yes, the humble, bland tofu!

Why did I wait so long to leave my personalized imprint on the process whose ultimate result is a cake of whitish soy surd? The reason is simple. I thought I needed a special starter to have the soy curd. Turns out I do not. Lemon juice works just fine.

So what did I do, you might wonder. Well, let me explain.
First, I took two cups of soy beans and soaked them. For a while. How long is a while? Hmm .....say overnight. That should do it.

I then rinsed the beans and blended them in the Vitamix - once cup beans, three cups hot water. What? I did not hear. Oh, no the Vitamix is not essential. It helps if you have it, but any blender would work.

Then, I strained the milk and brought it to a boil. Then I turned the stove off and add about 1/2 cup lemon juice. And voila ...the milk started curdling. I strained it through double cheese cloth, then I pressed the resulting tofu cake and voila...the result:
Now, if only I can find organic soy beans ... Soy is one of the most genetically modified crops as far as I know, so I prefer to buy organic or not buy.

This, ladies and gents, concludes my adventure in tofu-making. A presto!