Thursday, July 18, 2013

Plein air sketch


 I want to get a regular sketching schedule on track. I went for a walk the other day and decided to try my hand at a building sketch. I took a picture of the church from the spot where I sat:

 I drew small parts of it with pen on Bristol paper. Not a good paper for watercolors of course, but the pads were on sale ... now I am stuck using them. The moratorium is still in place - no more papers until I finish what I have. And no more paints until my skills improve. Hmmm ... this one risks being in effect for ever.
This is the sketch I made on location:

These are variations I drew at home. In the first one I used only pen and contour drawing. For the second one, I primed first the paper with matte medium and I used only brush.

I like the ghostly feeling in the last one - and the way the colors floated on top of the matte medium. The building looks more like a watermill - wrong proportions.