Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Best of 2009

I don't normally do best-of-anything lists and certainly not at the end of the year. This is usually a time of counting dissapointments and ways in which I fell short of whatever it is I wanted to do. I have been told repeatedly that my expectations are too high. I started lowering them, but somehow, I am still coming short at the end of the year. This year, I wanted to improve my drawing skills, keep a regular art journal and improve this blog. My drawing was on and off, my art journaling was sporadical and this blog is as underdeveloped as it was last year.
Lack of time is certainly a major factor in this. Probably the fact that I cannot make up my mind on one hobby does not help either. I could keep drawing. but no, I also also want to do art journals, abstract painting, portraits, pastels ... each one of these takes a lifetime to master and I want to do them after finishing fulltime work, going to school at night and training for marathons. I suppose my expectation are still too high. I don't know what to give up or how to manage it better. But after all, there is next year, right?

I found the "Best of 2009" challenge on Gwen Bell's blog. Here is the what I came up with:
Best trip: Homeplace Ranch and Punta Cana. Vacations are always winners.
Best book: Bestiaire by Eric Dupont.
Best challenge: The sketchbook project because I have never  done anything like that before.
Word of phrase: 2009 was boring.
Shop: I don't think I spent out of control amounts in a particular store. Omer deSerres would be the pick for "the best".