Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hand made papers

Saint Armand is a lovely papeterie in Montreal. I did not visit the atelier yet, but I once bought a bag of left over hand made papers. Gorgeous papers, thick, textured, earth colors ... somehow I never used them. I decided it was time! I applied two layers of matte medium as the papers have no sizing.

First, I tried to make a simple face - only watercolor pencil and some graphite ... or so I thought. The papers was purple and the watercolor did not show at all, so I kept adding stabilo pen and acrylic to increase the contrast.

I was so concentrated on the contrast that I did not realized that the eyes were off; but then I liked the distortion and I decided not to fix them.

The second face is another interpretation of the star gazing theme from Illustration Friday:

The quote is by Leonardo da Vinci:
He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind.